fyi: linux 3.4.3 missing module problems

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 23 17:41:48 CEST 2012

For those of you not on #lunar, I've just spent a week trying to track
down why I didn't have a network connection after building and rebooting
to linux-3.4.3.

There's a compilation error in the Emulex SCSI driver, and after that,
on my x86_64 system at least, the kernel build failed to build/install
any kernel *.ko modules. The 'lin linux' completes successfully with
no obvious error message, but if you reboot to the new kernel you find
the system is pretty unusable.

Disable the Emulex SCSI driver and the kernel build really succeeds.

Thanks to Ratler for pointing me in the right direction.

D.