mesa-lib

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Jun 20 21:56:44 CEST 2012

> On 06/19/2012 06:11 PM, Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
> > Sorry Auke but these are sad facts about stable. As I promised I keep
> > away from stable so do not know personally how changes looks like
> > there - only know what Jean wrote on dev ML some time ago.
> >
> > The term Jabbers is just my observation of dev ML and effect of my
> > frustration seeing how much characters were wasted on jabbering not
> > coding. My posts are also waste because I know I could use this time
> > for debugging/fixing/improving/updating Lunar. I have one life, one
> > time - nobody will give me second life or more time. Life is short
> > and I want it spend effective. I do not like jabbering that is why I
> > avoid irc and seldom post on ML. I'm not a nice guy who smiles to
> > others. People do not have to like me and I'm sure they do not like
> > me. Lunar is the thing they should like. If it will be user friendly,
> > up to date and stable they will like it. Some of them for sure will
> > like to join and improve it more.
> Enough is enough.
>
> I have revoked your commit access to moonbase.
>
>  From now on, in order to get your changes in, you will need to send a
> git pull request to me, and Cc this mailing list.
>
> The git pull request must be in the following format, or include the
> same elements at least:
>
> ---
>
> Hi! I've made the following changes in my git tree. You can pull the
> changes from here:
>
> git pull <git url> <branchname>
>
> <output of `git diff [BASE] | diffstat -p1`>
> <output of `git log --pretty=format:"%s" [BASE]`>
>
> ---
>
> I will review your changes as usual with any review process, and decide
> either to accept or reject them as I see fit, based on my own or other
> developers' opinions.

We had submission queues, moderation and reviews. All this ended up as
giant swamp where patches stuck forever. You prefer old rarely updated
packages. I prefer fast updates and fast fixes. Testing in both cases is
weak because the more testers the better debug and we have almost nobody
for testing. Jean-Michel tried to solve this by creating stable branch to
keep both contradicting worlds in peaceful coexistence and nonconflicting
cooperation (relaxed patch exchange between devel-stable branches). We all
should understand that the project leader sets the rules, the idea how
distro should look like. I think Auke would like to see the Lunar as it
was before I came here. Florin likes up to date packages, I like them too
but also like Ubuntu like friendlyness to newbies because strongly believe
today's newbies can be tomorrow devs. So also introduce some automation
but without Ubuntu's bloat. When I read posts in this topic I see echoes
of old Lunar going to be another LFS plus some mysterious commands like
lin/lrm/lvu and older packages than LFS.

I'm wondering if you like LFS like feeling why not use lin --opts and
define everyting yourself? Default options, questions are for newbies who
do not know yet what is right for them and expect distro to choose right
options for them. Hackers use lin --opts and defined opts are preserved on
updates so no problem with maintenace when once defined.