mesa-lib

v4hn me at v4hn.de
Tue Jun 19 15:32:13 CEST 2012

Hey,

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:13:27PM +0200, Jean-Michel Bruenn wrote:
> Lunar is a distribution and
> it's quite logical if a distribution does some choices for a user.

Yes it is, but we should be careful to select the right places to make choices.
Lunar is not meant for the average users and you know that quite well.
I agree with dveatch on that matter.

> Even if you just want to use an nvidia card (which means you will want
> to have at least swrast as driver from mesa-lib) in what way does it
> hurt if it installs 5 more drivers for you?

First of all you need to compile those additional modules whenever mesa-lib
is bumped. If any of those unnecessary modules are broken for one reason
or another your mesa-lib is broken for no reason(!). Also at least I tend to
build really specific systems and would like to be asked for a list of modules
to build.

> What do you do if you replace
> your graphiccard because it got broken? Wouldn't it be nice if you could
> just change your xorg-config or even let xorg detect that new card
> automatically without the hassle to spend time on recompiling mesa-lib
> and if you're lucky by doing so fucking some things up?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just recompile mesa and it compiles fine?
If you want the behaviour you describe then just select all modules in the
configure dialog!

> A distribution is there to provide _some_ defaults for the user - Everyone
> else should and would just go for linux from scratch.

I always think of Lunar as LFS with a thin layer of bash to provide basic
package management.

> It might be okay
> to use some weird hack (i.e. beeing smart again) which will  use llvm only
> in case someone selected DRI r300 or gallium, but that will just add
> code, which will fail at some day.

In my opinion that's a sensible choice and one to three lines of code.
So could someone please just fix the module like this?

v4hn