mesa-lib

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Tue Jun 19 12:13:27 CEST 2012

> There is nothing wrong with giving users a choice. What if I wanted to
> build a PVR using nv, the NVIDIA blob, etal that does not require all
> those drivers plus llvm? Lunar has been about choice, so no I don't like
> your idea.

On the one hand you're moaning about something not working, and on the
other hand you want to do specific stuff. Something is wrong in between
there. If you just want to build a PVR using nv etal - and still want to
be able to choose go for linux from scratch. Lunar is a distribution and
it's quite logical if a distribution does some choices for a user.

Even if you just want to use an nvidia card (which means you will want
to have at least swrast as driver from mesa-lib) in what way does it
hurt if it installs 5 more drivers for you? What do you do if you replace
your graphiccard because it got broken? Wouldn't it be nice if you could
just change your xorg-config or even let xorg detect that new card automatically without the hassle to spend time on recompiling mesa-lib
and if you're lucky by doing so fucking some things up?

A distribution is there to provide _some_ defaults for the user - Everyone
else should and would just go for linux from scratch. It might be okay
to use some weird hack (i.e. beeing smart again) which will  use llvm only
in case someone selected DRI r300 or gallium, but that will just add
code, which will fail at some day.

Thats just my opinion, though.