mesa-lib

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Tue Jun 19 13:56:24 CEST 2012

> > Why don't you provide/submit/commit a patch that works for you
> > and removes some of the weird logic from BUILD?
> > I'll gladly push it to moonbase, if you submit it or send it via mail.
>
> Here is a better idea; let the one(s) that made the commit fix it, or is
> that to much to ask?

Thats the problem we're facing with at lunar linux. Nobody feels
responsible for bugs introduced by devs who didn't test properly.
Which is, what my approach using "stable" should solve. But to
work that would actually require developers (all of them) to
feel responsible again for _every_ bug and solve those in stable.

However; for the mesa-issue this is tricky, because we need a few
work-arounds:

	r300 will only work with llvm.
	gallium requires (because we use such a configure switch)
		llvm
	swrast should be included always however, it should be
		made optionally again.
	egl should be choosable, though i don't know how much sense
		it does on a non-atom cpu.

First try: llvm removed, lin mesa-lib, said no to dri (all drivers will be build) said no to gallium:

configure: error: LLVM is required to build Gallium R300 on x86 and x86_64

second try, said y to select drivers, said n to gallium - same error message.

third try, i changed the module to contain --with-gallium-drivers=swrast" if one says no to gallium - now compiling works, without llvm.

what i want to point out is, this module needs a lot of love to work correctly. What we'd need to do (if we still want to be smart) is:

First ask the user which dri drivers he want to use - Make sure he can choose swrast and add "RECOMMENDED" behind it.

Now ask the user if he plans to use r300 or another driver which requires llvm. If yes get/install llvm.

Now ask the user if he plans to use gallium, if yes check if llvm is installed, if yes set --enable-gallium-llvm, if not set it --disable. If the user does not want to use a specific gallium driver - just do --with-gallium-drivers=swrast, if he wants to use a specific gallium driver, let him select that and again let him choose if he wants swrast or not - it's recommended though.

then finally make configure switches for various other things...

It's not that easy...