Men-At-Work: Splitting BUILD into BUILD && INSTALL

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Wed Jan 25 09:57:02 CET 2012

All,

I've pushed two branches into moonbase.git and lunar.git called
"split-build".

It contains running code that makes lunar require BUILD files to only do
the "compile" parts, and INSTALL files for the "make install" parts.

If you want to test this, you should be able to checkout the branches
and ./install in the lunar.git tree.

I've automatically cleaned up and converted all of moonbase to separate
BUILD/INSTALL files in the split-build branch in moonbase.git, but
obviously this has been entirely automated changes. There will certainly
be packages that will break, and need fixing.

Last, some quick notes:

- INSTALL files may be missing, in which case 'default_install' will be
executed.
- you can call 'default_install' from an INSTALL file
- you can omit calling default_install from an INSTALL file
- an INSTALL file may be completely empty, but that would be bad (it's
legal though).

- BUILD files may be empty now! this means that default_build and
default_make are skipped
- BUILD files may no longer use 'prepare_install'. You may not use
prepare_install anywhere anymore.
- default_make and default_build still work, but they no longer imply
"prepare_install" or "make install".

I encourage everyone to try this out, and give feedback.

If you don't know why I'm doing this, open a new thread and we can
discuss :).

Auke