stable branch

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sun Apr 29 21:02:42 CEST 2012

Dnia niedziela, 29 kwietnia 2012 19:28:27 Duncan Gibson pisze:
> > I wonder whether it would make more sense to combine the stable branch
> > idea with sofar's split moonbase idea, so that the stable branch only
> > has to concentrate on a limited number of modules to start with.
> >
> > The current 'unstable' moonbase modules would still be updated as now,
> > and available as a fallback repo if a user wanted a module that had
> > not
> > been tested and added to the stable branch.
> >
> > I don't know how easily this could be handled in lunar/theedge but I
> > thought I would throw the idea into the discussion.
>
> And just to reflect something that has been mooted several times before,
> and which might address the problems in the "zdeprecated: cleanup"
> thread, if we could replace "lin moonbase" with something that would
> also send the current "lvu installed" list to doppio so that we could
> see which packages were really being used, we could concentrate our
> efforts better. Maybe someone could generate a graphical web page
> showing module usage. Of course the stats would be as anonymous as
> possible (download machine sha1sum or something) and would only be
> valid for a year or similar.
>
> We could extend the idea so that the current 'unstable' moonbase is not
> just a fallback repo but also zdeprecated as well, and if the installed
> stats showed enough current users of an unstable/zdeprecated module then
> we would make it stable, or at least discuss what to do with it. People
> using zdeprecated module would do so at their own risk.
>
> Just another 2 eurocents

I understand this greed of destruction (sudden kde3 removal, Auke's recent
spring cleanup of still useful but gtk1 tools) is motivated by cost of
server bandwidth and moonbase size.

I have an idea how to solve this: www lunar application catalogue (I do
not want to say shop because we are freeware distro). There would be page
per module with screenshot and description which you can browse plus a
link to install/download. Every module would be a tiny .tar.bz2 package to
save download bandwidth and keep all needed files together. Web server
would count how many install clicks per module was done to know how much a
module is popular. There could be link also to report broken build.

I hope this greed of destruction can be stopped this way.