Proposal: adding default_cmake_config and default_cmake_build functions to build.lunar

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Mon May 23 13:45:10 CEST 2011

On Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:46:19 PM Auke Kok wrote:
> On 05/22/2011 07:15 AM, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > On Saturday, May 21, 2011 2:46:04 PM Auke Kok wrote:
> >> throw in a free 0x20 will ya?
> >
> > Where?
>
> before the &&, but you fixed it in the patch.

> > Stab #2 is attached and here for your viewing pleasure (not responsible
> > for hosed appearance here);
>
> this looks a bit better, the one thing I'd like to get rid of is the
> `obscure` call to a function without arguments ->
>
> > +
> > +  _cmake_build_type
> > +  cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$MODULE_PREFIX  \
> > +        -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RELEASE             \
> > +        $OPTS                                  \
> > +        $BUILD_TYPE
> > +}>  $C_FIFO 2>&1
>
> not only is it unclear what it does here, it also sets a global variable
> that is rather unspecifically named.

Ok. I'll ride that thought train.

> try writing a function that just puts the build location on stdout
>
> cmake_build_target()
> {
> 	echo "."
> }

Good point. Opted to echo $SOURCE_DIRECTORY since it will always point to the
tld and an out of source build will always need to look there (at least for
cmake dependent modules).

> and then reference it inline
>
>   cmake ...... $(cmake_build_target)
>

> Auke

Again for a quick viewing;

+# cmake can be run two ways: in source and out of source. The determinante
method is
+# to look for a cmake macro, if it exists then do out of source.
+cmake_build_target() {
+  debug_msg "cmake_build_target ($@)"
+  if [ -e cmake/modules/MacroEnsureOutOfSourceBuild.cmake ]; then
+    verbose_msg "running \"Out of source build is required; configuring\""
+    OOSB_DIR="$SOURCE_DIRECTORY/$MODULE-oosb"  &&
+    mkdir $OOSB_DIR                            &&
+    cd $OOSB_DIR                               &&
+    echo "$SOURCE_DIRECTORY"
+  else
+    verbose_msg "running \"configuring for an in source build\""
+    echo "$SOURCE_DIRECTORY"
+  fi
+}
+
+

and

+default_cmake_config() {
+  debug_msg "default_cmake_config ($@)"
+  verbose_msg "running \"default_cmake_config\""
+  verbose_msg "MODULE_PREFIX=\"$MODULE_PREFIX\""
+  cmake_build_target
+  cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$MODULE_PREFIX  \
+        -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RELEASE             \
+        $OPTS $(cmake_build_target)
+} > $C_FIFO 2>&1
+
+

and

+default_cmake_build() {
+  debug_msg "default_cmake_build ($@)"
+  verbose_msg "running \"default_cmake_build\""
+  default_cmake_config &&
+  default_make
+} > $C_FIFO 2>&1
+