systemd

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 14 13:51:20 CEST 2011

On Monday, June 13, 2011 6:29:55 PM Auke Kok wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 08:08 AM, Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > Auke,
> >
> > tried your recent systemd changes with the following;
> >
> > use sysvinit - no
> > with gtk+-2 - no (caused build to fail)
>
> hmm, strange, I'll look into that.
>
> > and a partitioning scheme of / and swap.
> >
> > Nothing in /var/log/messages jumped out and wireless still worked.
> >
> > I did notice a lot of this, not sure what to make of them;
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-service.lo
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-automount.lo
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-mount.lo
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-swap.lo
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-device.lo
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-target.lo
> >
> > snip
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-dbus-target.lo
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-dbus-mount.lo
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-dbus-automount.lo
> >
> > cc1: warning: /include: No such file or directory
> >
> >    CC     src/libsystemd_core_la-dbus-swap.lo
> >
> > Apparently none fatal as the box still boots.
> >
> > The last time I diddled with this on a multi-partition/multi-drive box
> > things did not go well. I may try that again unless there are still some
> > gotcha's even with your changes.
>
> I saw those too, it's from us somewhere passing an unusual prefix. Since
> the compile succeds, no worries.

Not sure about that. Tried it from cli using several different incantations of
--includedir and --oldincludedir such as; /, /usr, /usr/include and that
warning persisted. I think it has something to do with their configure script.

> The systemd install is getting a bit better. With sysv compat mode now
> being able to be switched off, you'll actually start using most of
> systemd's internal startup code (which does a ton and really efficient).
>
> Here are the few things left to do:
>
> - need to package replacement links to /sbin/init, initctl, reboot,
> shutdown etc etc. in some package that conflicts with sysvinit
>
> - need to make sysvinit removable entirely (no use keeping it around)
>
> - add more service unit files (I did a few, needs more).
>
> User steps to perform when converting:
>
> - remove all VFS's from /etc/fstab. You should only have physical device
> nodes here

So for a fstab like this;

# proc is required pretty much on any linux system except embedded systems:
proc    /proc           proc    defaults        0 0

# shmfs is surpassed and obsolete
#shm    /dev/shm        shm     defaults        0 0
none    /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0

# devfs and devpts are not friends, yet 2.6 needs devpts:
devpts  /dev/pts        devpts  defaults        0 0

# usb devfs can be helpfull on interactive (desktop) machines
#usbfs  /proc/bus/usb   usbfs defaults       0 0

# /tmp should be wiped on boot so by default it helps to have it on tmpfs
tmpfs   /tmp            tmpfs   defaults,size=2048m,nr_inodes=64m       0 0

# /var/lock and /var/run need to be clean on reboot:
tmpfs   /var/lock       tmpfs   size=4m 0 0
tmpfs   /var/run        tmpfs   size=4m 0 0

# /var/tmp should NOT be on tmpfs, LSB states that the contents of it must
# stay intact on reboot
#tmpfs  /var/tmp        tmpfs   size=32m        0 0

UUID=a26179bd-93de-4f4a-bffc-d22fab04614c       /       ext4    defaults
0 0
UUID=a883786d-56c2-48a8-af33-31d3c1e88761       swap    swap    defaults
0 0

Get rid of everything except for the last two lines?

> - ln -sf /proc/self/mounts /etc/mtab

Not sure why that should or needs to be left for the user to correct.

> Auke

Dennis