Dependencies, their tracking and what we need to improve.

jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Sun Jul 17 13:02:38 CEST 2011

Duncan Gibson wrote:
> Auke wrote:
>> lunar's codebase is already a huge patch blanket, and always was. At
>> one point, you just have to decide "no more" and either just ignore
>> the architectural deficiencies, or redesign and rewrite the entire
>> thing to fix those shortcomings.
>> It sounds rather harsh, I can understand that. But given the amount
>> of core code I wrote for lunar over the years, I think I can safely
>> say that I've learned enough from it to realize that it would be more
>> efficient to design something from scratch.
>
> Based on your experience then, and with the benefit of hindsight, what
> are the pros and cons of the current Lunar package management system?
> If you were to build a new package management system from scratch for
> the new Sofaris :-) distribution, how would you do it differently?

Another question would be, which developers would be willing, to
spend their time on starting the package management from scratch. And
is this even an option. If I may say it directly: Our old-core is busy
or not around anymore. Those devs which are active currently, are (as
far as i can see) just handling modules (i.e. updates, new submissions,
etc) with a fix here and there.