commit messages

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 2 16:57:49 CEST 2011

C'mon people!

Can we please have a bit more common sense in the commit messages?

"bump", "version bump" and "oops!" don't really help anyone looking at
the commit logs, or the Updated Modules list on the Lunar web site.

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, there are commit messages that
have so many characters on the first line that they could be paragraphs
in themselves.

The commit message convention, as I understand it, is:

    A short summary on the first line

    And then if any more explanation is needed, you leave a blank
    line and then add as much text as you want. Only the first line
    summary appears in the Subject: of the commit messages sent out.

I suggest that the first line contains something like:

   module: updated to version x.y.z
   module: added abc to DEPENDS
   module: fixed BUILD to handle whatever
   module: version x.y.z added to zbeta/wherever
   module: moved from zbeta to wherever
   module: removed from moonbase [security / obsolete / replaced by abc ]

Cheers
D.