[bug] lunar update removes a module instead upgrading

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Fri Jul 1 04:21:04 CEST 2011

On 06/30/2011 02:21 PM, Duncan Gibson wrote:

>>> Maybe it would have been better if this had been moved to zdeprecated
>>> for a while so people had a chance to switch before it was removed.
>>> Sometimes it's a pain in the bum when active modules get deleted or
>>> renamed because the next time you 'lunar update' or even just 'lin
>>> moonbase' the system has no clue about the old module name any more.
>
>> I'm not happy too how module replacement is (not) done. We should add
>> something like module replacement table so when lunar update displays
>> message that a module was removed from moonbase it should look into
>> replacement table to see what install instead. Such table should have 2
>> columns like:
>> firefox4 firefox5
>> to let lunar update know that when firefox4 was removed from moonbase a
>> firefox5 should be lined as an update.
>
> When this was discussed before, my suggestion was that when a normal
> user runs 'lin moonbase' (rather than a dev with a moonbase.git) then
> lin should detect that the module has been removed/renamed and create
> a copy in zlocal. This would give the user chance to tidy up.
>
> Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start looking in the lin code
> to implement such a feature. Maybe I'll look into it after my vacation.
> Don't hold your breath though :-)

Only way to do this is to edit update_moonbase and make it retain a copy
of the current moonbase, then copy modules over that are missing in the
new moonbase.

The problem with that is that it's then impossible to get people to
delete their packages since they're never removed, and deleting a module
becomes impossible, even though realistically that is what we'd want
people to do.

Auke