[Lunar-commits] <moonbase> t1lib: added missing opt_dep and made lib executable

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 26 18:02:18 CET 2011

Me:
>> Do we really want to go down the road of explicitly specifying such
>> optional_depends on libX11 or other components of X? Surely you either
>> have X installed, or you do not. Am I missing something?

dagbrown:
> Yes, you are.
>
> It's possible to have X clients that *don't* depend on the X server
> being present.  If you run X clients on remote machines with the local
> machine being the X server, it makes perfect sense for the client to
> depend on libX11 and its friends, but not on Xorg.

No, I understand that you might want to run X application eXecutables
on a machine that doesn't have a X server running but that display on
another machine that does ...

 ...  but how are you supposed to build that X application eXecutable
without having the requisite X include files and libraries installed?

> Granted, it's not going to be a typical user--but I like to think that
> Lunar isn't FOR typical users.  Ubuntu already exists, after all.

And such a user should know, or it should be clear from 'man lfirsttime'
that they will need to install libX11 or whatever before they can build
the X-enabled parts of their applications, e.g. gvim.

Most applications that have an optional X-capability detect whether the
environment supports that and autoconfigure the build process accordingly.
We should continue to let them do that, rather than by adding explicit
optional_depends libX11 for them. Do we stop with libX11? Do we need to
add explicit optional_depends for all of the other optional capabilities?
Wouldn't this be the equivalent of Gentoo's USE flags that many dislike?

Plus, any optional_depends introduces a question that either needs to be
answered or to timeout before the installation can continue. That could
mean either an awful lot of questions on a fresh install or a lot of dead
time during an unattended install.

D.