Gnome 2 / 3 rename proposal of gnome2/

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 5 22:01:30 CEST 2011

> I'd like to know whether anyone of you is using "gnome" in lunar and
> might be able to help updating and testing gnome stuff..
>
> Then I'd like to rename "gnome2" to "gnome" because of a few reasons:
>   a) we can't simple add a gnome3 folder to moonbase, because the
>      modules within both folders are called exactly the same. So
>      having gnome2 and gnome3 or gnomeX seperated makes only sense
>      for a very small amount of modules and only if we name the
>      modules modulename2 modulename3 modulenameX etc.
>   b) some modules still have the same version, so they aren't gnome3
>      or gnome2 they'll work with both. Having them in a gnome2 folder
>      is just confusing.
>
> Anyone against renaming gnome2/ to gnome/?
>
> If nobody is against that, whats the proper way to rename that folder
> in git?

As discussed in #lunar, not so long ago I was trying to update gnome to
2.32.0, but I failed miserably.

That's partly because I'm not a gnome user, and partly because there's
no clear build instructions anywhere as far as I could find. They have
their 'jhbuild' system to download and compile each of the component
packages, but it doesn't quite fit with lunar's modules. Plus, even
though there was a version in their git repository tagged as 2.32.0,
there appeared to be lots of packages that had incompatible versions,
so I had to go back several versions to find something that appeared
to have 2.32.0 at the top level. I don't remember what failed now.

Then I tried to go to one of the gnome 2.32.0 mirror sites, such as
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.32/2.32.0/sources/ although
I was using a Swedish mirror, but these seem to give the top-level
applications, and there are a lot of the lower level ones that are
not mentioned, so you don't know what versions are required.

I don't remember the details, because I wiped the box in frustration
with the intention of starting again with a clean slate, but haven't
had time or the inclination to open that can of worms again. There
were some packages where the advertised 2.32.0 version wouldn't build
but required newer ones, which were incompatible with other packages.
I dimly remember that libsoup was a problem, but I could be wrong.

My feeling was that even if I had been able to get everything updated
to the 2.32.0 versions, it would not be possible to have both gnome2
and gnome3 modules at the top level in lunar. As far as I understand
it, we would need to create a snapshot of a load of low-level gnome2
modules by having specific module-version variants. I couldn't see an
easy way of having gnome2 and gnome3 modules coexisting on the system.

If I remember correctly, it was Zack McGrew who updated gnome-2.28 and
then Jason Johnston started to look at 2.30. The only other person who
seems to submit gnome modules is Giorgos Chadjipavlis (lazyape). You
might need to also appeal for help on lunar rather than just lunar-dev

I was wondering whether we could look at another distro with 2.32.0
and see whether we can get a list of packages and versions that way.

Sorry to have rambled on for so long, without real conclusions.

Duncan / engelsma