Fw: different init-systems

Dennis Veatch dennisveatch at bellsouth.net
Tue Apr 5 13:10:48 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 08:57:13 AM you wrote:
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 23:06:31 +0200
> From: Jean-Michel Bruenn <jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de>
> To: lunar-dev at lunar-linux.org
> Subject: different init-systems
>

> Hello,
>
> i'd like to see how other developers think about the various available
> sysvinit-replacements and whats the overall opinion. There's sysvinit,
> runit, upstart and systemd - Currently our init scripts are difficult
> to maintain and most of them would need a rewrite (e.g. the mount script
> mixed with 2.4 kernel stuff, udev and lvm, the nfs script, one init
> script starting 4-5 apps related to nfs) - So some questions for the
> future of Lunar:
>
> Do we want to switch from sysvinit to another init-system? Some people
> suggested systemd, i'd personally prefer runit and last but not least
> there'd be also upstart.

I don't really know enough about the the different init methods to say anything
intelligent.

> Do we want to provide support for more than one init-system (which
> might result in a mess to maintain) like having all 4 init-systems in
> moonbase?

I'm neither for or against maintaining 4 init systems, just wondering why we
should; aside from user choice type reasons.

I do think if we had a larger developer pool it would be a reasonable thing to
do for the user. Personally I don't think I would want to dicker with all
four.

> Should we compare the different init systems (i'd do if its
> worth the work, if everyone says "no we dont want to change" no need to
> do such work)?

Some sort of chart/matrix would be helpful. Anyone know the technical reasons
Meego went with systemd over the others? Auke?

> Whats your opinion?
>

> Jean

Dennis `stumbles` Veatch
Lunar Linux Developer