different init-systems

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Mon Apr 4 23:06:31 CEST 2011

Hello,

i'd like to see how other developers think about the various available
sysvinit-replacements and whats the overall opinion. There's sysvinit,
runit, upstart and systemd - Currently our init scripts are difficult
to maintain and most of them would need a rewrite (e.g. the mount script
mixed with 2.4 kernel stuff, udev and lvm, the nfs script, one init
script starting 4-5 apps related to nfs) - So some questions for the
future of Lunar:

Do we want to switch from sysvinit to another init-system? Some people
suggested systemd, i'd personally prefer runit and last but not least
there'd be also upstart.

Do we want to provide support for more than one init-system (which
might result in a mess to maintain) like having all 4 init-systems in
moonbase?

Should we compare the different init systems (i'd do if its
worth the work, if everyone says "no we dont want to change" no need to
do such work)?

Whats your opinion?

Jean