Lunar optimize Bug

Auke Kok auke at foo-projects.org
Wed Sep 29 21:29:26 CEST 2010

On 09/29/2010 11:09 AM, Jean-Michel Bruenn wrote:
>> it's intended. instead of hiding all the menu's, most of the
>> optimizations in the speed menu (for instance) are actually safe. Even
>> gcc turns most of them on when you use -O2, as I annotated in the source
>> code.
>>
>> I did a full screen of all the options, and everything that's visible
>> now with "safe" on is really very safe.
>>
>> Auke
>
> I'm unsure about that (As i and some other users had some issues for
> example with SSE enabled, all of our cpus have the sse flags - While i
> have my whole netbook (intel atom) compiled with sse enabled without
> problems, my desktop (amd cpu, which supports up to sse3) can't compile
> some things when the whole box is compiled with sse enabled (mainly
> video related stuff, like x264, gpac, etc) - So i'd even say sse is
> not safe, and applications which need it will enable it anyway if
> supported, applications which don't enable it automatically will
> probably won't use them at all - so no big deal.

most applications will never use sse optimizations, and x264 *should*
really use it

the fact that x264 breaks is more an indication of the maturity of that
product than a sign of unsafety of the -msseN flags... Video decoding
really must rely heavily on these optimizations otherwise you're better
off using MPEG2...

Auke