lcer - lunar compile error report (simplifying support)

Stefan Wold ratler at lunar-linux.org
Sat May 15 17:08:56 CEST 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 15:56 +0200, Duncan Gibson wrote:
> > [...snip...]
> > However, before i spend any more work into this:
> > 	- How do other developers think about this feature?
> > 	- Who would like to help by implementing it into lin and the
> >         lunar features dialog (And, do we want to implement it?)
>
> I think that it could be useful, with the following caveats:
>
> 1. most users who get to #lunar usually only need a hint to get going,
>    there aren't that many who are asked for compile logs, etc.
>    lcer.sh is still a good idea to be able to get the information.

On the contrary, I often find it necessary to ask for the compile log,
or at least the last 100 rows or so. I like the idea anyway.

> 2. Why does it have to be part of lunar/theedge? Can't it be a module
>    on its own? The user asks on #lunar, someone says 'lin lcer' and
>    then run 'lver module' and we'll have a look.

I think it would fit even better into lunar-tools.

> 3. Bearing in mind that the current Bug Tracker needs a good clean out,
>    who maintains the lcer reports page?

The system could be self cleaning, logs older than X months get nuked.
Least effort from devs is the way to go, if it can be automated it
should :)

> It's a bit like sofar's module submission queue and review system. It's
> a good idea, but really needs more people to use it...

Sofars idea is great, it's just the implementation from the developers
side that should be easier. Right now it's to much of an effort to work
through the queue, but that's in my opinion. That's why there are so few
of the developers using it. I for one love the fact that we let the
users assist us. If we make it even more simple I'm sure most devs would
come to love it.

--
Sincerely
Stefan Wold