lcer - lunar compile error report (simplifying support)

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Fri May 14 12:31:20 CEST 2010

Hello Developers,

recently i came up with the idea of making "lcer", which is fetching
additional information about a lunar-linux installation like
optimizations and similar things - We could use lcer implemented within
lin and lunar (so that people could use it optionally - en/dis-abling
in lunar features). Everytime a compile fails a user could
be asked whether he wants to submit the data of this failed compile -
as a result he would get an address which he could post at #lunar or on
the maillinglist. Instead of spending a lot of time by explaining a
user how to obtain the compile log and other information we would see
all needed information at that url. A user could also run the script
manually like ./lcer modulename

Additional Information about this feature are available on the
developer WIKI (look at the section "Tasks") - A running example is
available here: http://84.201.38.2/lcer.php Click for example on "ntp"
to see which information are collected. The Bash Script which is
collecting and submitting the data is available in the wiki, too - or
by pm'ing or mailing to me.

However, before i spend any more work into this:
	- How do other developers think about this feature?
	- Who would like to help by implementing it into lin and the
lunar features dialog (And, do we want to implement it?)
	- I could colour some parts of the output on the page to see
whether a user is using "safe" optimizations or not - Something like
that useful? I'm also happy if someone wants to make another layout for
that page.
	- Any other Information about a failed compile which you would
like to have on that page?

Please note, that this is currently only an example; i hope if all
other developers agree to place it onto dopio, soon.

Download of the Bash Script lcer which is submitting this data is
possible by either looking into the dev-wiki or pm'ing me on IRC (Or
well, write me an email)

Happily awaiting your feedback.

--
Jean-Michel Bruenn <jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de>