Thoughts about OPTS option in BUILD script

lazyape lazyape at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 12:22:30 CEST 2010

Hello people.

 I am writing this email explaining my problem and a potential solution.

 I was trying to update evince to the latest version
and i was getting errors about kpathsea and fPIC, so i
decided to compile evince with OPTS=" --disable-dvi".

When i tried once again to compile evince i get the same error. After looking at
the output of 'lvu compile evince' i have seen that evince was configured with

>  ./configure --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --infodir=/usr/share/info -->  mandir=/usr/share/man --disable-dvi --enable-nautilus --enable-tiff --with-print=gnome --enable-comics --enable-dvi -->  >  enable-impress --enable-pixbuf

thus my compilation option was inserted before the ones that are selected in the BUILD script.

The solution is to change the line

>  OPTS="$OPTS --enable-comics --enable-dvi --enable-impress --enable-pixbuf"

>  OPTS="--enable-comics --enable-dvi --enable-impress --enable-pixbuf $OPTS"

so --disable-dvi come after --enable-dvi.

The conclusion is that although a user have the ability to change the compilation option while executing a lin command, his/her options may not affect the compilation process because they are placing before the BUILD's option. This is due to the

> OPTS+="some option"

line in the BUILDS

My proposal is to copy OPTS="user option" to a USER_OPTION variable and while default_build the OPTS+=$USER_OPTION

Sorry for this long email and my english

--
lazyape <lazyape at gmail.com>