%ALIAS timeout and continue

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Wed May 6 22:42:02 CEST 2009

I'm re-installing a slow box, and have been bitten again by the problem
where selecting a module for a %ALIAS doesn't timeout so the overnight
build was blocked.

Therefore I tweaked the aliases.lunar unalias() function to check how
many of the options are already installed. If none, it defaults to the
first choice, and will timeout. If one, it defaults to that, and will
time out. If more than one is already installed, it blocks as before.

I had assumed that all %ALIAS options also conflicted with each other,
so that having more than one installed would mean a serious problem on
the box, but it seems that this is not the case (e.g. XMLRENDERER).
There's also the question of what to do if "NEVER_ASK" is already set.

I attach this first attempt. Is it worth pursuing further? Comments?

Cheers
Duncan / engelsman