GIT: warning message about "updating currently checked out branch" and why you should care

Duncan Gibson duncan.gibson at xs4all.nl
Sun Apr 19 21:32:21 CEST 2009

Me:
>> http://wiki.lunar-linux.org/index.php/Module_Submission_for_developers
>> explains why I set up the two tier repo system that I have.
>> Sofar's review script doesn't work with the --bare repo either:

Sofar:
> correct, it needs to make diffs and that's hard to compare a local file
> copy against a remote non-file non-checkout out copy - it'll basically
> never work.

Me:
>> I really don't want to open up my firewalls and systems if I can
>> avoid it, because I don't have the security expertise of you and sofar.
>>
>> What would your advice be on how to set up the local and remote repos?
>> Maybe it could be on a wiki page for those that might come after...

Sofar:
> aside from the review script, nothing wrong with pushing from your home
> checkout straight to the main git repo on doppio.
>
> those working with the review script should just do a checkout of
> moonbase in their home folder on doppio.

So, from what's been said, and some experimenting with multiple local
repositories, if I want to continue working in the same way described in
http://wiki.lunar-linux.org/index.php/Module_Submission_for_developers
I need:

1. On doppio to clone a bare copy of the central moonbase.git
   git clone --bare git://lunar-linux.org/lunar/moonbase.git remote.bare

2. On doppio, clone a working copy from that for the review script
   git clone remote.bare remote.work

3. On my box, clone a local working copy from my bare repo on doppio
   git clone ssh://me@lunar-linux.org/~me/remote.bare local.work

As far as I can tell so far, local.work no longer needs the
    git config --get-regexp '^(remote|branch)\.'
    git config remote.origin.push master:refs/remotes/satellite/master
lines that came from the Everyday GIT With 20 Commands Or So article.

In remote.bare I can now 'git push' to moonbase,git without warning,
but I now need to 'git fetch' from moonbase.git instead of 'git pull'

In remote.work, I can 'git push' to, and 'git pull' from remote.bare.

In local.work, I can 'git push' to, and 'git pull' from remote.bare.

I have to push/pull things via remote.bare if I want to share them
between remote.work and local.work because (a) my firewall is closed
so remote.work can't pull from local.work, and (b) local.work can't
push to remote.work because it's not a bare repo.

Phew! I think I'm getting my head around it.

Is there anything that I missed before I update the wiki page?

Cheers
Duncan