Patches & Modules - Questions and your Opinion?

Jean-Michel Brünn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Mon Mar 17 17:33:12 CET 2008

Hello,

i have short questions about patches and modules in moonbase. If i remember correct we want patches for modules only if they're needed. So my questions:

	1. Who defines wether a patch is needed?
	2. How about patches like branch updates from official side, fixing bugs, possibly not critical bugs.
	3. How about patches giving optionally more security or adding features?

Could be that you want examples.. so here are some:

	Bash fixes
	1. http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-3.2-patches/

	Glibc (hardening)
	2. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/hlfs/svn/glibc-2.5.1-arc4_prng-2.patch

I know that everything is running without that patches, but wouldn't it be better and giving more security to add such patches? We could add those patches "if available" so we won't wait for a patch before we switch a module to a newer version. Anyway, i know that would perhaps mean more testing.

Would be glad to get some answers.

Cheers
Jean