gnome build procedure proposal

lazyape lazyape at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 15:13:34 CET 2008

hello people

first of all i have to admit that i prefer gnome instead xfce although most of you are using xfce. i am sniffing around the latest unstable garnome the last few days and i have seen that lunar's gnome build procedure differs from it. I attach 3 ps files showning the Gnome's platform dependence graph (DG) from garnome (the first 2) and lunar build system respectevelly. The first garnome DG includes all the dependencies between the modules and the second is (i believe...:) ) the spanning tree of the first one.I've changed the DEPENDS of those modules, to match dependencies according to garnome and successfully build a gnome platform.

My proposition is:

1) synchronize lunar's gnome build procedure ccording to gnome's garnome one.

2)Change gnome2 DEPENDS file to something like

depends gnome2-platform
depends gnome2-desktop

or

depends gnome2-platform
depends gnome2-wm

where gnome2-wm include those modules (not in platform) in order to have a working window manager, i.e every module
required in order to be installed the gnome-session module.

3)Create "default_WM_build" and "default_WM_make" where WM from window manager choice (ie. "default_gnome_build"
or "default_xfce_make"). With this, every module contributing to a WM will have a default build or make file and not like now
that GConf for example doesn't have a BUILD file while libIDL have one!

PS:sorry for my english.i hope i'll improve them in the future
--
lazyape <lazyape at gmail.com>