php module

Jean-Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Fri Sep 21 23:22:28 CEST 2007

Hello,

> i've tried compiling the php5 module with imap ... it doesn't work. As
> Jon has told me it's crap anyway i'm going to remove it... if you so
> badly need make sure the one in moonbase works... currently it doesn't

i looked at the pear module he mentioned. That should be fine. If you
want i can try to fix the imap issue. Yes/No? I mean if you plan to
remove it, i don't need to fix it.

> As it old you on #lunar i won't touch POST_INSTALL... if you like to
> have it... that's why i'm asking in the first place right :)

you said nothing like that (not to me) and in your mail you wrote you
will remove it. Anyway, i said why you should leave it as it is. Maybe
we could ASK the user "Do u want that we add ADDTypes to Apache Config
for you?" or something like that.

> and the internal gd one is preferred by most ppl (actually they prefer
> imagemagick but that's another story) and indeed some php image
> functions are only available with the internal gd library (example:
> http://be.php.net/imagerotate: Note: This function is only available
> if PHP is compiled with the bundled version of the GD library.).
> Currently our php modules do not allow to build this bundled
> version... so i'm just going to enable this possibility.

I would not say that image magick is prefered. And indeed thats another
story. I don't know whats here the best choice, if i remember correct
(from my manual installations) you have to recompile php if some
libraries change. That means: If you update MySQL you have to recompile
php, if not build with bundled libraries. If it's build with bundled
libraries that doesn't matter. So switching to the bundled version of
GD could be a good thing, too (we don't need to make sure that
libraries are correct/up to date/whatever) At least, like with adding
ADDTYPE we could ASK the user what he prefers - a modern GD version or
the bundled gd with some extra functions.

> Other than that... i think email about this in the first place is the
> correct thing to do... it's not making a big fuzz out of stuff... it's
> courtesy... but maybe you're right... maybe i shouldn't have asked?

Your mail wasn't a question. You said "if no one reacts on this i'll
do so on monday." after it, sofar said you should do so and you should
not wait till monday. At least i don't see one question in your mail...
It's good to ask, please ask again next time.

ask !== decide/appoint/affect/assign/ascertain/whatever