Change proposal to audacious/audacious-plugins

Jaime Buffery nestu at lunar-linux.org
Thu Mar 29 19:35:33 CEST 2007

Hi, fellas

Coming from Auke's proposal to test audacious, I was rather astonished
by the fact that it had no audio output unless I had installed
audacious-plugins.

The problem is audacious depends on audacious-plugins for output, but
the plugins cannot be installed without audacious. Sad but true.

IMHO, it is really weird that you have to install the plugins, as it
currently is, in order to get the player.

So, we could:
a ) create a dummy module that depends first on audacious and then
on audacious-plugins.
b ) Put both sources in one unique module called audacious-all,
just audacious or whatever you like.
c ) Put a warning message on this issue at audacious' POST_INSTALL.
c ) Leave it as it is.

I prefer the second approach. Okay, it isn't clean, but it works
as expected, e.g. I install a player and I can play. No other
module depends directly on audacious-plugins, so I don't see the
harm.

Just an idea.

Ciao,
Jaime