read bash?

Jan Eidtmann cmak at lunar-linux.org
Tue Jan 30 11:49:29 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 11:11:31 +0100
Moritz Heiber <moe at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:06:57 +0100
> Jan Eidtmann <cmak at lunar-linux.org> wrote:
>
> > what do you mean i cant, it works for me. it just doesnt
> > work from inside the "while read..." loop
> > what do you mean not allowed?
>
> cmak, don't try to duplicate work here. I had a script once. It worked
> fine. It just called cryptsetup which then asked the user for a
> password. Yet, it needed a special bash hack to grab the user's input
> which I cannot remember right now and the script was lost in my HDD
> scrash in nomvember last year.
>
> I'd recommened you take a look at http://cryptmount.sourceforge.net and
> by done with the bash juggling.

let me show what i think could be easily and cleanly done.

we just check for some file, like /etc/crypttab, and if it
exists, read it and call cryptsetup...we only support luks
encrypted filesystems and we dont support encrypted root
either. (who wants his root partition to be encrypted
anyway? not much to hide here).
it wouldnt be very generic, as it doesnt support the older
cryptoloop or something...or root encryption, but it would
be a start, at least we support the cool stuff.

people could setup their dm-crypt stuff, edit one file
(/etc/crypttab) and lunar will handle these at bootup.

what do you think? we could have a nice "dm-crypt on your
lunar laptop" (whatever) howto too.

its like 20 lines of code, that just aint working....yet :P

 ///
cmak