gcc-4.1.1

Jan Eidtmann cmak at lunar-linux.org
Sat Jan 27 15:52:00 CET 2007

On 27.01.07, Terry Chan wrote:
> When apps break due to gcc changes in the ABI, it's almost always C++ apps.
>
> So a pure C++ app that was compiled with gcc-3.4.x can/will have problems
> with the ABI in gcc-4.x.x.  Usually a recompile of the C++ app with the
> newer compiler is all that is necessary.  Or you might try recompiling
> the dependency tree of the C++ app as more C++ parts can/will be broken as
> well.
>
> If all that fails, then you'll need to check with the devs of the said C++
> app to see if they have a svn/cvs version that fixes your problem(s).
>
> So yes, if you only have ONE lunar box, then don't feel compelled as a lunar
> dev to possibly wreck you're only working box by installing a newer gcc-4.x.
>
> Terry Chan

thanks for that explaination, much appreciated! i think the
next iso will be with gcc 4.1.1, right? i will update when
its released, so that i am at least then up-to-date! :)

btw, do we support older releases of lunar? i mean, with
the new iso we cannot guarantee that the modules in the
moonbase will work with older releases...or does anyone
here have one box for each release of lunar to test? :P