1.6.1-rc2 released for x86_64 and i686 - "Moose Drool"

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Jan 15 13:17:14 CET 2007

> > Does lilo still has 1024 cylinder limit (can't boot kernel from partition
>
> ???? when was the last time that you checked this ? 1990 ?
>
> I've never ever seen this to be a problem with lilo.

No. It was year 2004 when I was using Mandrake 10.1, nForce2 mobo with 20.5GB
drive. Then I switched to grub to bypass this lilo bug (this was lilo
problem, not bios or hardware).
Now to boot from Linux partition (at 1024 cylinder or more - partition set up
above 8GB) using lilo a machine must follow these requirements:
*LILO version 21.4 or later (lunar uses 22.7.3),
*lba32 capable BIOS with EDD extension,
*lba32 parameter at /etc/lilo.conf
*linear parameter have to be removed/commented out from /etc/lilo.conf.
Or forget about these requirements and set up Linux boot partition below 1024
cylinder so kernel image files can be loaded by lilo.

My Linux boot partition begins at 10.5GB so use grub. Haven't tried lilo with
lba32 yet.

Reference:
http://www.enterprisedt.com/publications/dual_boot.html 'Note on 1024 Cylinder
limit'