1.6.1-rc2 released for x86_64 and i686 - "Moose Drool"

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Jan 15 02:00:10 CET 2007

Couannette wrote:
> Le Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:24:30 -0800,
> Auke Kok <sofar at foo-projects.org> a écrit :
>> The x86_64 version is native/pure 64-bit, and thus does not provide
>> grub as a bootloader , as there is no pure 64bit grub bootloader yet.
>> We're planning and experimenting with multilib support, but a mixed
>> 32/64-bit ISO is not expected until after 1.6.1-final.
>>

> Hello,
>
> I want to understand: does grub works in 64 bit boot process but you
> didn't included it because you didn't want a sort of 32/64 lib mixture ?

we don't have a mixed 32/64 bit environment (yet). Grub cannot be compiled in a 64-bit
environment (yet, and most lilely never), it requires 32 bit libraries. Thus I have no
way to make it on x86_64 at the moment.

> Or does grub do not work for booting a 64 bit machine ?

a 32-bit grub can boot a 64-bit kernel.

> If first anwser, why do not include a statically linked grub ?

because we don't have a way to make a static grub (yet).

Cheers,

Auke