alternative /etc/issue* files for more 31337 login screen :)

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Aug 13 03:18:31 CEST 2007

I just wrote this alternative util-linux module for myself to know on which
tty/machine I boot. Very useful if you have few machines and one display.
After lining it logout/reboot will show something like this:
---
Lunar Linux 1.6.0-i686 (Indium Antimonide - 20060323)
Linux 2.6.22.2 built: #1 Fri Aug 10 22:52:13 CEST 2007 running on an i686
3 users logged in on mymachine.myhost.org
Today is: 13/08/2007 02:51
Your connection speed: 38400 on terminal tty3
mymachine login:
----
The /etc/issue.net has less data for security reasons. You can shrink it more.
Another advantage is more cool (making bigger impression on newbies) login
message. :-)

Major changes:
This module _removes_ /sbin/make-issue and its line from /etc/inittab to
improve security. /etc/issue* files are overwritten.

Minor changes in module:
details: removed old urls and changed gz to bz2
more nice text formatting

have a nice day,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski