Collected ideas 2006/08

Samuel Verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:31:52 UTC 2006

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 02:05:27 +0200
Jean Michel Bruenn <jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de> wrote:

> Dear Lunar Developers,
>
> as explained ago, i wanted to submit each month collected ideas.
> Please discuss the ideas with the other developers (NOT with me)
> when discussed, give me a short comment and a status - Status
> could be 'accepted' or 'declined'
>
> Just as a note, i'm working on version two of this ideas-system
> you can have a first look on it, here:
> 	http://www.ideas.lunar-linux.de/index.php
>
> not everything ready yet, but it looks much better then the
> current version.
>
> I have to rework on a vote/comment system and some other things.
>
> btw. see the things at the bottom of this mail as example
> how automatically mails from my system to u, could look like
> if u have ideas, or wishes to make this better, just inform me.
>
> Waiting for your answers,
>
> Cheers
> Jean
>
> 14 ideas collected, 41 comments collected,
> 1 idea(s) declined
> 2 idea(s) approved
>
> 11 idea(s) with status pending:

> Downloadable templates of installed modules.
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=15bde61c2b

I don't think that i understand what you want here... a template of
installed modules?
Do you mean a kind of a default profile? That does some basic
configuration for you as well?
Like if you say
lin xfce4-profile
that it would configure hal and dbus and things like that for you so it
becomes a perfectly nice and usable desktop?

I must say that i have thought about this quite a lot and i planned to
start this one time but it requires a hell lot of work and maybe ( ;) )
we lack devs for those kind of things...

> lvu submit/ml could need a little change
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=eea004d0ff

I think we can all agree on this...
First of all the whole submission thing is a very nice idea but for me
it has always been a way to *share* things you had in zlocal rather
than forcing updates or bugfixes ...

> auto optimizations
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=2d6b0c84bb

I don't know... this sounds fairly useless to me. I hate optimizations
anyway and -i686 -O2 is more than good enough for most ppl. (i use this
on every lunar box i have...) the only "optimization" i turn on is the
number of makes... single core is passee :p

> custom parameters for gcc and ld optimizations
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=79b563d2d5

same as above...

> improving modules
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=fd571c8b7d

I think everybody agrees on this ... I can only repeat what i have said
in the submit thing... we have a bugtracker for bugs...

> Lunar Handbook.pdf
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=90b33d3733

I don't know... we have manpages for our own tools... all the rest is
basically changing every single day. Sounds like a lot of effort for
something that changes way too frequently... Imho it would be much
nicer that ppl contribute stuff to the wiki... If you found out
something and you struggled a while with it to get it going share your
experiences on the wiki... At least that is a non static medium which
everybody can comment on.

> making lunar themes for some apps
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=ca525b8cc9

Nice thought... now we need somebody to do it... :)

> reducing updates/keep used updates up to date.
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=c7c0043815

I like this idea... but you can't wait with an update if it's
critical... imho we do a fairly good job at keeping lunar up2date
without pushing the users the latest and the greatest...
noticable exceptions.. pango, cairo and gtk+2... we might lower the
frequency on them... i certainly wouldn't mind.

> multiple views of the moonbase
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=3ae7f2f5b7

certainly an interesting idea... with the ability to push it that far
that it becomes too much work so we dismiss it... (eg making moonbase
completely a database and rewriting all the tools)
I know for sure that adding more fields in the DETAILS file will not be
appreciated by everybody but i certainly would like it.
On the other hand making moonbase a real db and rewriting everything in
C would certainly speed up the whole dependency tracking... But then
again i prefer the open nature of BASH

> provide a cache of key pre-built binaries
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=6e593f0717

interesting thought... compile some very large things with sane compile
flags and have the cache tarballs online... then something like lin
--resurrect-from-webcache firefox would download that precompiled
tarball
Advantages compared to using precompiled firefox'es of mozilla.com is
that we keep it inside lunar and the packaging tools would still
recognize that we do have firefox installed....

> collect stats on modules
>
> Link: http://lunar-linux.de/ideas/index.php?id=1854a7bdb2

As long as it's voluntarely colleting stats i agree 100%... it would
help us devs focus on modules used most...

gr,S.