a new view on conflicts

Chad R. Kittel v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org
Sun May 21 16:13:47 UTC 2006

Hello,

Attached you will find an enhancement I would like to see made to the
lunar core.  This is a diff that, once applied, should allow module
writers a little more choice (and sanity) in dealing with module
conflicts.

Currently module conflicts are stored in files (called CONFLICTS) that
exist right under a module's directory.  So, if 'modulex' conflicts
with 'moduley' and vice-versa (as is the norm), there exists a
CONFLICTS file in both modulex's and moduley's directories, listing the
other module.  I'm proposing that we provide an alternate way of
listing conflicts (while maintaining the backwards compatibility/choice
of using the CONFLICTS file if desired).

My proposal is this.  Like aliases, there will now be a file called
'conflicts' that exists at the root level of the moonbase directory.  In
this file can be listed module conflicts, with two different syntaxes,
meaning two different things.  Both syntaxes are supported, as they
offer different types of features.  Below you will find an example of
the contents of an conflicts file.

dog bunny cat
cat: hamster gerbil mouse

In the example above,
dog conflicts with bunny and cat
bunny conflicts with dog and cat
cat conflicts with dog, bunny, hamster, gerbil, and mouse
hamster conflicts with cat (NOTE: but not gerbil or mouse)
mouse conflicts with cat (NOTE: but not hamster or gerbil )

The attached patch implements this logic above.  It hasn't been tested
beyond my fiddling, so I would like to get some more feedback before
placing this into 'theedge'.  Check odd cases like.. do the greps handle
things like 'cat' and 'cat-svn' properly, etc?

I've talked to Moe about this on IRC and he is in favor.  It will save
himself 200 CONFLICTS files with the new XOrg 7.x modules. :o)

Thoughts?

--
  _
(\o/) Chad 'v3rt1g0' Kittel <v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org>