kde modules

samuel verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 13:23:07 UTC 2006

florin,

This weekend i tried to install some of the kde modules in moonbase.
More specifically i tried installing kdegraphics3.
Of course basic dependencies are qt3 and kdelibs3. Qt3 installed
without a flaw but i do have question on the installation of kdelibs.

 -Certain environment variables must be defined before compiling and
using kde3 and applications that depend on kde3, KDE_PREFIX and/or
KDEDIR. The default values are:
   KDE_PREFIX=
   KDEDIR=/opt/lunar/kde/3.
You can put the file actual.rc in the /etc/profile.d directory
containing the new value of KDE_PREFIX, and it's value will be used as
the location where the kde3 module to be installed. KDEDIR value is
used as a default value unless a new value is set for KDE_PREFIX.
Remember to logout and login again after you put/alter the actual.rc
file, in order to be processed, and after that to begin the kde3
install process.

So if i understand this message correctly kdelibs installs a
kde3.rc file in the /etc/profile.d directoryand it tells me that if
iwant something non defauls for the PREFIX i have to give an
alias.rc file with KDE_PREFIX thing...

I choose to ignore this... just default is fine for me... so kdelibs3
installs. Then i tried to lin kdegraphics3 ... which failed.

***** lvu compile kdegraphics3 *********
checking for -p flag to install... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for kde-config... /bin/kde-config
configure: error: /bin/kde-config --prefix outputed the non existant
prefix '' for kdelibs. This means it has been moved since you installed
it. This won't work. Please recompile kdelibs for the new prefix.
**************************************

Only after throwing in an actual.rc-file in the /etc/profile.d/
directory with inside just :
export KDE_PREFIX=/opt/lunar/kde/3
kdegraphics installed fine...
I keep wondering why the kdelibs3 module doesn't install this by
default??? Is there something missing in the kde3.rc file? or did you
want to include the actual.rc file anyway...

Anyway.... imho something is wrong and it wouldn't be so bad if you
could take a look at it :)

gr,S.