udev firmware rules

Jannis jannis at lunar-linux.org
Thu Jun 29 15:54:52 UTC 2006

Hey all, especially Florin and Moe.

I stumbled across a bug in udev (version 094) today. The background:
Moe commited a huge update back in April including a version bump
(088 to 091) and some custom udev rules and patches.
Ignoring the fact that Moe is explicitely mentioned as maintainer of
this module, Florin bumped to 094 on June 20th. After updating udev
from moonbase yesterday, I noticed my ipw2200 driver fails to load due
to firmware problems.

I browsed the logs and finally filed a bug report for this, which you
can see here: http://bugs.lunar-linux.org/view.php?id=118

This lead to a quite heated discussion. In the end I reverted udev back
to the former state, which at least worked. We decided to not
bump udev until Moe's back (or at least until he is able to post a
statement here). Afterwards, I looked into the details of the problem.
This is what I found out:

In Release 093, /lib/udev/firmware_helper was replaced
by /lib/udev/firmware.sh. So if we want to update udev, we need to
adjust the firmware rules, which can be found on

  http://download.lunar-linux.org/lunar/patches/05-firmware-088.rules

to use this shell script. I tested it and it's really just the filename
which has to be changed. In addition, udevsend has been replaced by
udevstart, I think. AFAIK, this should not cause problems, but the
BUILD script would have to be adjusted to install the udevstart script
properly (instead of udevsend).

Ok, that's it. Just wanted to post this to inform everyone.

Regards,
Jannis