check fastest mirror

Jon South striker at lunar-linux.org
Wed Aug 30 15:23:41 UTC 2006

Auke Kok wrote:
> I actually think this is a bad idea in general. You are trying to come up with
> a perfect solution to an imperfect problem and not taking friday-night's pr0n
> rush into account, the fact that your cat is chewing on your wifi antenna, and
> the ISP playing lottery with your download speeds.

No, I already brought that up. I was trying to suggest the next best
thing to downloading files several times from the same mirror at
different times (which would obviously anger the admin), and have lget
choose a different mirror next time it needed a file off that mirror.
Granted, that's not too accurate, but at least you have speeds from the
actual download.

> It's a lot better to just take the FIRST step in the right direction, and then
> see where we can improve. I think my region-based approach is already good
> enough for almost anyone, it's easily to implement, it will always work and the
> overhead is negligent.

Agreed, I didn't mean to imply we must implement this now (or at all),
it was just an idea for someone to ponder, it's still not perfect, so
chances are it's not worth implementing at all. Region based mirrors and
weights is definitely a good step in the right direction.

$ ping -f sofar at lunar-linux.org
ping: unknown host sofar at lunar-linux.org

DAMN!

-Striker