check fastest mirror

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed Aug 30 12:23:51 UTC 2006

> west and east are terms that you can find on compasses. compasses are not
> discriminatory for using these terms. they didn't change them into "up
> there", "on the side where the sun sets" "down below" etc. after 1970.
> on-topic: no big deal, you know best in which sub-region you fit, so you
> would choose EUW. most likely that would give you a lot of mirrors in
> germany, france, poland, so you would be happy.

Compass names are historical names too so using compass names can make some
consternation on ML :-). Relax.
If we use DVD regions it will be OK because there will be only Europe
selection for Europeans. In more detailed way the name could be for example:
CWE (Central-West Europe) as Internet connections goes in that way when
looking on the Internet map. East Europe could have EEA (East Europe, Asia)
name.

In attachment there is countryselector.sh which setups best mirror queque.
Selects German mirror for ImageMagic module for German users. This is country
selector as I see it. Anyone who has suggestion on
modifying/changing/writting new one script is welcome. It is safe to run as
it does not modify anything.

[offtopic]
Following Striker's post I remember another joke:
In soviet russia, the party gives directions not compasses. :-)
[offtopic]

> > Bingo! Very good idea! I vote for!
> > However country selector would be a little better, but DVD regions are
> > easier to maintain.
>
> the more you split it up the worse it is to maintain. We should never ever
> go beyond about 10 regions. this is why the dvd regions work ok (there's
> only 6), but I would be okay working with 10 or so, it makes sense to split
> the two large regions up in two.
>
> Auke

Agree. More than 10 servers is too much (except for few huge modules like
kernel, kde, gnome or X which are already solved in Lunar) Implementing DVD
like regions do not conflicts country selector procedure. First user choose
region where lives. Then from prefiltered shorter url list country selector
pick up right one. This looks comfortable only for Europe users as US domains
afaik do not have state letters at the end of domain name. It is known that
some European servers do not have national domain too. Especially those
commercial. However I think country selector will make more good than bad so
it is worth trying as optional feature.

have a nice day,
zbiggy