check fastest mirror

Jon South striker at lunar-linux.org
Tue Aug 29 19:39:34 UTC 2006

Steven Michalske wrote:
> So we need to use wget to pick a 1MB file off of that mirror,
> and download it.  after we pick a file we then download that same
> file from all the other mirrors.
> save the times and pick the lowest.
>
> now we can specify the file manually or we can have it auto magically
> selected.
>
> This should be written as a fast_mirror_plugin,  that ranks the
> mirrors from your location.
>
> Steve

If I were the admin of a mirror you used to do speed tests with random
files, I would not be too happy with you. Speed tests should be done
with a legitimate file that you *need* -- Perhaps a scoreboard system
addon would be better to keep track of download speeds from different
mirrors. This could go along with the region codes and/or mirror weights
and the addon would adjust according to the [actual] fastest mirror.

-Striker