Old modules

Jean Michel Bruenn jean.bruenn at ip-minds.de
Fri Aug 25 11:28:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:00:21 -0400
Dennis Veatch <dennisveatch at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On Friday 25 August 2006 06:31, Jean Michel Bruenn wrote:
> > Dear Lunar-List,
> > Dear Lunar-Developers,
> >
> > i've seen, that there are over 800 old modules in moonbase (Updated
> > 2000-2004). Here you'll find a list:
> >
> > 	http://www.ip-minds.de/oldmodules.txt
> >
> > I tried yesterday to update some of this modules - but most of them aren't
> > really maintained, have no mirrors, or aren't really useful.
> >

> I'm not sure how you generated that list but it doesn't seem to be accurate.
> Qcad, I updated that last week. Aspell, it is maintained along with it's
> language packs. These are just a couple of examples.

Yeah. I used a simple console command:
find . | xargs grep -l "UPDATED=200[01234]" > bla.txt

> Some of the "old" modules are old simply because no one has discovered any
> programming flaws or build problems or.... etc.

described in my last mail to jens - some ppl aren't using the bugtracker, they see
oh module isn't running, what a bad distribution. Thats one of the main problems
at most distributions - We're waiting for bug submissions. We could have 80%
of broken modules, and nobody would care, cause there's no bug report.

> The list would be more useful if it showed which packages had broken website
> and download links.

ack.

> Personally I use the website modules page and check the website links and fix
> accordingly. Obviously, I have not checked them all.
>
> > So my question:
> >
> > Whats about a special maillinglist like lunar-old-modules where some ppl
> > can try update this list, and discuss about old and unuseful modules?
> >

> I'm not convinced using the maillist would be an effect method. Not all lunar
> users monitor them. BTAIM, I think instead of creating a new maillist, use
> lunar-linux. If any of our users are likely to subscribe to one it would be
> that.

I thought, a seperate team, doing this, would be better. Cause Developers are Developers, Users are Users, and Ppl-searching-for-broken-stuff are ppl-searching-for-broken-stuff. But perhaps you're right.

> snip
> >
> > Greetings
> > Jean Michel Bruenn

.. ;-)