ISO/Core additions

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Nov 18 19:25:58 UTC 2005

Zbigniew Luszpinski wrote:
>>Moritz Heiber wrote:
>>
>>>Hey Auke,
>>>
>>>1) I think we should include udev by default on the ISO. The 2.6.x
>>>based kernels need it for node transactions now as devfs is NOT
>>>supported anymore (as of 2.6.13.x). Without having udev installed any
>>>update from 2.4.x to 2.6.x will fail!
>>
>>after 1.5.2 I'm gonna have a go at making a 2.6 iso - lets not get
>>stupid and duplicate work here when it's not needed.
>
> How about mixed mode 2.4/2.6 ISO? It should be less work for keeping single,
> mixed iso than 2 separate. However I realize it will take some work at
> beginning to put it together.

not only does "mixed" make things impossible (lin kernel-header-mess)...
I just also proved that the current installer build code can be easily
modified to create a 2.6-based ISO (and quite quickly). =^)

In the future I will keep both ISO lines alive as long as needed - the
2.4-based ISO's are incredibly easy to maintain. the 2.6 versions just
need a lot of testing now.

Auke