module: glibc

Jerry Lundström prox at lunar-linux.org
Fri May 20 18:59:17 UTC 2005

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> The _whole_ point of the kernel-headers package (at least for 2.6,
> because there isn't any for 2.4) is that glibc should NOT be compiled
> against raw kernel headers.

We will never be able to escape this since some programs do that.

> So, either we don't do kernel-header packages and compile against
> current kernel sources -- note this is not recommended by Linus -- or we
> have a userspace header package with sanitized headers for 2.6 with a
> fallback home-made solution for 2.4.

Hmm, that doesnt make sense, why should you use your kernel versions
headers?
For the 2.4 vs 2.6 I can see a point to let programs catch up to 2.6 .

> Building against kernel sources _and_ having a kernel-header package
> doesn't really make sense.

Well, my situations is my own since I don't use the kernel package or
the kernel-headers package, I just didnt want lunar to mess up my own
headers when there was no point.

--
Jerry Lundström
System developer / administrator