Distrowatch > linux

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Sun Jul 17 11:51:39 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 12:17:06PM +0200, Zbigniew ?uszpi?ski wrote:
> > A couple a things:
> >
> > * Linux module is normally well maintained.
>
> It's obvious. Everybody needs it.
If 30 mins after the release has been broadcasted, you update the module in new
(for the sake of the example) and the maintainer -believe me, there is one,
though maybe you don't know who, but you can get to know if you drop in #lunar
or check for yourself the old commits- hasn't had a sec to review it, it can
wait a little more. My point is more towards asking you to wait a little more
before submitting well maintained modules, since most probably the dev is
already taking care of it.

> > Would be better if you kept track of more unmaintained modules.
>
> They are tracked. But their life ends in svn->new and my zlocal. I updated to
> current version modules I use. If even these modules are not imported to
> moonbase I see no sense of updating other. Popular modules like linux have
> chance to be in moonbase. I maintain modules which I use. Kernel is one of
> such modules. I do module updates for myself and drop them to lunar svn also.
> I can keep them for myself only if you wish.
That is not what I meant.

> > Obviously, I am not saying your  submission is not welcomed ;)))))
>
> ??? Thats strange. Your mail have rather opposite meaning.
Not really. I'm just asking you to take a little more time before submitting to
new.

> OK. I was not sure if you see svn->new commits. But if commit changelog is
> tracked - no more update posts.
Thanks.

> > Yet, if by any chance, something like Linux had been left behind for a good
> > while, I would think it would be reasonable to knock on the door and say
> > "¡hey, bump it!"
>
> ...and the answer usually is "have no time". Most modules have no personal
> maintainer field so such contact is not possible.
Again, #lunar is open. If someone has no time, you will see it not bumped.
Therefore you could request the bump yourself, as I have pointed out above.

> greets,
> Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski

Ciao,
nestu.