proposed changes in some config files...

samuel verstraete samuel.verstraete at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:59:48 UTC 2005

I only made these changes to my system maybe they are worth
implementing as it corresponds to other linux'es out there...

First File :

/etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm

1.
+ XTerm*termName: xterm-color

This enables colors in xterm, aterm, rxvt (especially syntax-hilighting
in vim...)

2.
+ XTerm*loginShell: true

quite obvious

3.
+ XTerm*eightBitInput: false
+ XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true

enables the use of the Alt + 'numbers' to switch windows in use with
irssi (tested with xterm, will prolly work with aterm and rxvt as well)

Second File :

/etc/inputrc

+ "\e[5~": history-search-backward
+ "\e[6~": history-search-forward
- "\e[5~": beginning-of-history
- "\e[6~": end-of-history

so instead of using PgDn and PgUp to go to first or last command in
history you now can use PgDn and PgUp for going one item up in
history... if you start typing a command that you used before and press
PgUp it will also look that up in the history file... just test it. :p
it's to hard to explain :)

greetz
Samuel aka ElAngelo