current testing state of glibc 2.3.4 and 2.4 headers

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Sun Jan 30 12:56:50 UTC 2005

Hello, Terry
On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:43:56AM -0600, Terry Chan wrote:
> Upon examination of the glibc-2.3.4 lunar module and the 2.3.4 source code,
> I'm not sure that commenting out the glibc-2.3.2-ctype-compat.patch is such a
> great idea.  The patch probably needs some help in being applied, but the glibc-2.3.4
> code does NOT appear to provide the patch's functionality.  You will find out very
> shortly when you try to get your lunar box to compile a static binary, like tar-static,
> bash_static, or sash.  If glibc-2.3.4 does allow you to correctly compile a static
> binary and run older statically linked binaries, THEN the ctype-compat.patch is really
> no longer necessary.

Well, the case is that with the unpatched glibc, bash_static and tar_static both
give some warnings. In tar-static's case, this is what I get:

gcc  -Os -mcpu=i386 -march=i386 -static  -s -static -o tar  buffer.o compare.o
create.o delete.o extract.o xheader.o incremen.o list.o mangle.o misc.o names.o
sparse.o system.o tar.o update.o utf8.o ../lib/libta
names.o(.text+0x94): En la función `gid_to_gname':
: warning: Using 'getgrgid' in statically linked applications requires at
runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
names.o(.text+0x199): En la función `gname_to_gid':
: warning: Using 'getgrnam' in statically linked applications requires at
runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
names.o(.text+0x112): En la función `uname_to_uid':
: warning: Using 'getpwnam' in statically linked applications requires at
runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
names.o(.text+0x2a): En la función `uid_to_uname':
: warning: Using 'getpwuid' in statically linked applications requires at
runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking

I have tested it and it works fine. I have made sure the binary was well
installed and up2ate (not the old version) and I have ran a ldd on it, with no
output whatsoever.

I have, in fact, recompiled the whole 1.4.0 iso and the proposed modules in
sofar's new iso version. I was careful, as I stated I'm my last mail with the
first steps after linning glibc for the first time, though. I think a
POST_INSTALL, or a very simple guide to how to do a glibc update would be a good
idea (yes, I volunteer, Moritz).

Current specs for this test: gcc 3.3.3, glibc 2.3.4, headers 2.4.29. If you want
further testing, like gcc 3.4.3, for example, or any other app (no, I refuse to
compile things like gnome or kde..), please request it.

> Terry Chan
Ciao,
Jaime.