fontconfig problems

Jerry Lundström prox at lunar-linux.org
Thu Sep 30 08:46:18 UTC 2004

Auke Kok wrote:
> Jerry Lundström wrote:
>>
>> OR MAYBE we should start taking care of libraries?!?!
>
> go get your coffee first, read your comics and think again

Is this so much to ask for really?

I just dont want to se solutions being made in modules like rebuilding
of things just because 3 years ago someone had problems with it. Those
kinds of things are very easally forgoten and will drive the quality of
lunar down with it. For example, do we really need to remove perl when
compiling perl? Whats the reason for that? Wheres the doc that says it
needs to be done?
There is alot to talk about our way of working with modules, for new
devs its not so fun because you dont know where you can do stuff. As a
new dev you have alot more willingness to make things better and its not
fun if you get slamed down on for cleaning a module that someone else
made in a special way without documenting it.

>> Sure we can ignore the big problem and just tell everyone to rebuild
>> most of thier system when a lib change.... or we could global
>> solution/guideline on how to deal with libs.
>
> neither works, lunar is still a distro that requires manual intervention
> and the more we automate the solution the more software is rebuilt and
> the more problems you will get if you don't cover all corners.
>
> We cannot cover all corners.
>
> That said I don't think we should let this pass but I am much more
> enthusiastic to frequent communications from the dev group towards users
> about possible issues and guidelines etc than increasing the load on our
> users. This comes from 2 viewpoints:

Is it time to fork the moonbase into a stable and a devel or branch?

>> I leave it up for the collective decision of ALL lunar-devs (in other
>> words, reply to this thread or your say has nothing of value).
>
> ehmmmmmm did you get your coffee yet?
>
> okay you do have a point. I'll come back to it later.

Yes, I am just a little upset about the lack of respones here on the
mailinglist. Too much it discussed on irc with no logs or dicission
reports to the mailing list.