default_config() optimization?

Chad Kittel v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org
Fri Oct 8 22:41:34 UTC 2004

On Friday 08 October 2004 02:06 pm, Jon South wrote:
> To whom it may concern (and especially those that dont),
>
> To help cut down even more on space in modules (take a look at the BUILD
> file for dd_rescue), see the following diff for build.lunar:
>

>   default_config() {
>     debug_msg "default_config ($@)"
> +
> +  if [ ! -f "configure" ]; then
> +    return
> +  fi
> +
>     verbose_msg "running \"default_config\""
>
>     verbose_msg "CFLAGS=\"$CFLAGS\""            &&
>

> Not sure if this would be acceptable since it silently returns if
> configure doesnt exist -- but I can't think of a scenario where someone
> would honestly need this to give an error while developing a module.
>
> This is only an example; if anyone has a better solution, please, be my
> guest =)

Well, that BUILD file for dd_rescue should just be a call to 'default_make' if
that helps.

But I know that isn't really the issue as you wanted to see the BUILD file
totally eliminated.  If I get this right you are just suggesting that the the
'default_build' can be used in basically all default situations ignoring the
configure part if ./configure does not exist.  I have mixed feelings on this.
I kind of like the explicit nature of knowing this "isn't really a default
build", but it's certainly not needed information by anymeans either.  I'm
indifferent I guess.