XOrg-test and PAM

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Oct 6 07:37:50 UTC 2004

Niki Guldbrand wrote:

>Hi Jasper.
>
>Thanks for the help, ran into this too... :-/
>
>On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 21:06 +0200, Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>

>>Hey,
>>
>>I just successfully installed XOrg-test. Nice work Nick, 6.8.0 didn't
>>work, but 6.8.1 compiled fine.
>>
>>Then I found that I couldn't start X unless I was root.
>>
>>After some googling I found a solution: add file /etc/pam.d/xserver with
>>these lines:
>>
>>auth            required        pam_permit.so
>>account         required        pam_permit.so
>>
>>No idea about the security implications.

/usr/src/Linux-PAM-0.77/modules/pam_permit # cat README
# $Id: README,v 1.1.1.1 2000/06/20 22:11:46 agmorgan Exp $
#

this module always returns PAM_SUCCESS, it ignores all options.

given the fact that auth=required and account=required I think it
permits xserver to be started for all properly logged in users. The
impact of that should not be high, as it will be the same as running
XOrg on a machine without PAM. (right?)

sofar