dependency aliases

Chad Kittel v3rt1g0 at lunar-linux.org
Tue Oct 5 23:24:29 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 10:33 am, Auke Kok wrote:
> attached is a rough draft for theedge (current) that implements aliases
> for dependencies in the following way

This is great, thank you sofar (and anyone else who may have worked on it).  I
have not yet untared it in order to test/try, because I wanted to ask some
questions upfront and give some immedate feedback

> * unalias() function that translate module names to aliases if it starts
> with '%'
>
> * /var/lib/lunar/aliases is the known aliases db and alternatives
Is there any alias naming restrictions?  such as:
%SameName:SameName DifferentName
Where the alias's name is the name of an existing module (either part of that
alias or maybe just the name of another module in the moonbase)... basicaly
does the alias name need to be unique thoughout the moonbase?

I don't suppose you can have something like:
%Alias0:ModuleX ModuleY %Alias1
Where an alias is expanded inline.  This could cause some nasty recursion now
that I think of it...

> * first found pick is go (we basically keep it to *exclusive* aliases,
> sorry for now that is it)
What is meant by this?

> * if you replace xfree86 with XOrg every dependency is automatically
> updated when a module is relinned, so impact on move is minimal
>
> * lvu stree/tree also ported to include the functionality
>
> * provide a picklist in case no alias is installed (this is *VERY* rough
> code, a bit hacked).
>
> it works OK with my little test cases so far, I think you guys wanna
> test this and tell me how it behaves for you badly ;^)
Can you give us an example usage in a DEPENDS file?
I'm assuming it would it be like...
depends RealModule
depends %ModuleAlias

optional_depends %AnotherModuleAlias "--enable-somethingcommon" "" "for
something special"

> (just untar in /)
>
> sofar

Looking forward to this... It will certainly help module developers.
- v3rt1g0