fontconfig problems

Nick Hudson nhudson at lunar-linux.org
Mon Oct 4 23:57:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 18:49 -0500, Chad Kittel wrote:
> On Monday 04 October 2004 06:24 pm, Nick Hudson wrote:
> > Xfree86* is no longer supported by us anymore, or atleast by me.  XOrg
> > is the future and we made a desicion when XOrg was released to go to
> > XOrg from now on.  I would suggest if you are running any Xfree86
> > servers still to upgrade to Xorg, you wont be sorry.
>
> This wasn't a question reguarding me personally as I only run XOrg and have
> been "since the begining."  I'm talking about our users that use the lunar
> provided xfree86(-beta) modules still (god help their soles)... Are they
> going be have issues with the fontconfig module being removed (or is this a
> XOrg needed dependancy only?) -- as I look at 'lvu leert fontconfig', I see
> my own answer, XOrg only... silly me.

Well yeah, it should work itself out normally due to the fact that all
the libs/headers between Xorg and XFree86 are the same names.  Yes XOrg
has updated them a bit but they should link the same.  I dont know of
any users who still use xfree86, if they still are I can only wonder
why.

> Back on the subject of xfree86 (and totally off topic from the thread)... What
> is the future of these modules? How long are we planning on keeping them
> around if they are not "supported?"  Can we create a module directory for
> unsupport/deprecated modules and reloated them there? When we do phase those
> out, we could get rid of two X profile modules:  'xserver' and
> 'xservers-profile'

hopefully with the next update of XOrg I will get rid of the xfree86*
modules.  For the Lusers who still have Xfree86 installed it will be
just a matter of removing Xfree86 and installing XOrg.  Of course
**knocks on wood** things are never just that easy.  I cant think of any
problems they might have other than having to recompile a few modules
just to update the links.  Other than that I dont see a problem.

Nick