Features I'd like...

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Mar 31 22:00:26 GMT 2004

Honest response:

Jerry Lundström wrote:
> Well, i dont think the user should have to hack the details file in the
> moonbase to select a diffrent version and then later put it on hold.

I think most users don't use versioned modules. if they use it the
reason is:

1) there's a more stable/better/nicer version out and some lunar dev is
afraid to put it in moonbase as the 'stable' version. (with good reasons
perhaps?)

2) they wanna freak out their lunar installation and bitch about it
breaking ;^)

3) the person *is* a dev

4) all of the above

> Benifits
> - easier to manage and depend on version.

you assume:

1) versioning depends are in order
2) more modules means better maintainability
3) it is clear to the user which module to choose

none of these 3 assupmtions is realistic (at the moment), or achievable
in the short term (I think)

> - gives the ability to do stable and unstable releases in same moonbase

right now there is a clear distinction between stable and -cvs or /x.y.z
modules which obviously are not mainstream. the feature you mention is
already there

> which will give us more testing users (ex. you link stable/unstable to
> the version you wish and make the global version stable/unstable if
> non-other has been picked)

you're absolutely on spot on this one. However I fail to see the
technical implementation on how to do this. how?

> Troubles
> - Hmmm, can't think of any right now, but sure, it will be a little
> messy switch.

Do we want to subject all lunar users to moonbase chaos?

sofar